Beginning August 1st, BlueRaiderZone.com will redirect to the Middle Tennessee section of CSNbbs.com. It's been a blast conversing with you all this past decade+, and we hope to continue cheering on from our new home: https://csnbbs.com/forum-301.html

Signee from Turkey

The place to be for conversations regarding Rick Insell's Lady Raider squad.
Stephen Shirley
2nd String

Signee from Turkey

Unread post by Stephen Shirley » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:07 am

CRI addressed the guard issue by signing Zeynup Canbaz from Turkey. Canbaz is a member of the Turkish women's national team and comes to MT as a junior college signee.

http://www.dnj.com/story/sports/college ... 100599696/
BigBlueBrad
2nd String

Re: Signee from Turkey

Unread post by BigBlueBrad » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:56 pm

Evet. Zeynep hanim çök iyi! Ben çök mutlu. Eşim Türk.
Hall of Fame Blue Crew
KAjunRaider
Assistant Coach

Unread post by KAjunRaider » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:06 am

Hearing she will be here. She is in Turkey now, before coming into school.

Hear she is a natural point-guard and a great passer, and may even play some point with #1 PG Kyla Allison at the 2-guard.
KAjunRaider
Assistant Coach

Unread post by KAjunRaider » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:04 am

still not in the MT directory
Ole Blue
MVP

Unread post by Ole Blue » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:52 pm

KAjunRaider wrote:still not in the MT directory
She is with the team now. Appearing in pics on Twitter.
KAjunRaider
Assistant Coach

Unread post by KAjunRaider » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:50 am

I heard she is as quick as greased lightning !

True point guard.
crassy
Grayshirt

Unread post by crassy » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:05 pm

She is sound with her ball handling skills and shooting, and only a moderate passer. That being said, she is slow compared to the rest of the guards. It could be the slowness associated with being unsure of things and taking it slow, but she didn't exhibit any speed that I could see. Our overall guard speed is slow as a whole. The point guard position is between Kyla Allison and Katie Collier. Kyla runs the offense better and is about the only guard with speed, but her team and individual defense is lacking. Coach Insell is working diligently on that. I see both playing a lot with

Both the freshman post look good in that they work hard and can use their size advantages inside, but both are still very raw. I suspect one or both will be red shirted. LaSonja Edwards, a jc transfer really looked good. She can really shoot around the basket and hustles on rebounding. She is 6'1", but has a wingspan that makes her 6'3" or 6'4". She is strong and physically imposing. Team defense is where she is lacking right now. Once she gets that down, I see her rotating in an already strong inside with Alex Johnson, Gabby Lyons, Rebecca Reuter, and Jordon Majors. I didn't see the coaches spending a lot of time with LaSonja one way or another, so I really don't understand it. In Ebony Rowe's and Alex Johnson' s early practices, Coach Insell bragged a lot about them. I am not saying she looked that good, but she looked good and they hardly said anything to her one way or another.
Another newcomer-freshman that looked really good to me was Anna Jones. She is a lanky 6'1" and can really shoot the three. She does everything right and kind of reminds me a little of a smaller Brandi Brown. She will contribute a lot as the year goes on.
Abbey Sissom has toned up a little, but no major changes there. Charity Savage has bulked up and could contribute a lot more this year. Jess Louro looks to be recovered from her injury she sustained in the tournament. Gabby Lyons has slimmed down for more quickness, but has retained her inside strength. Alex Johnson is still super solid inside, but showed an improved three point shot in practice at least.
KAjunRaider
Assistant Coach

Unread post by KAjunRaider » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:14 pm

Thnks for the breakdown.

I heard the young lady from the Plateau can shoot hooks with either hand, but needs to get in game-shape.

How is Majors looking, after a year out ?

Expecting big things from Savage this year.

We need more scoring out of Sissom and Lyon.

I suspect Kyla will do a fine job filling in for Ty Petty. That is, assuming she is the starting PG, and not a #2.

How about Reuter ? This is her year to shine.
crassy
Grayshirt

Unread post by crassy » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:38 pm

I saw Kayla shoot one hook and it missed, but she uses her width and height really well down inside. Her shots were scattered and off the mark a lot, but that may come from playing people more her height and getting adjusted to it. She needs a lot of work on her foot work down low. I think Coach Pillow will bring her along. Jadona didn't stand out much but once one of the guards got a good entry pass to her and she used her height to snatch the ball out of air and put it in the basket. It looked like some of the moves that Cheyenne use to utilize. Jordon didn't stand out, but she didn't do anything wrong either. I think she is tentative with two straight years of injuries. Charity really has put on some muscle, not fat. She still retains her speed. Rebecca looked good as usual, but the regular starters did not get a lot of attention. Coach Insell was working on his problems and didn't really get the established starters involved in a lot of the drills. As he said, he knows what they will do for him so he spent a majority of the time on areas of focus. At point guard it may be a year like when the guards on the other team determined whether we started speed on defense (Shanice Cason) or stability on offense (Carolyn Warden) or a mismash of both. Towards the end in addition to Kyla, Katie and Zeynep, Anna Jones got a few reps at point guard.
crassy
Grayshirt

Unread post by crassy » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:40 pm

Of course, this is all an opinion and not a professional observation. It is just an opinion from watching years of MTSU basketball. :-)